Monday, February 7, 2011

What Didn't Make The List

As I mentioned previously, The List took me some time to complete. I wrote, scribbled, scratched, removed, added, and so on for a while. Obviously, there are many things I would like to accomplish by myself, with my family, and with my friends that did not necessarily make the cut this time around. That doesn't mean I'm not doing them if/when the opportunity presents itself,  and since most of my posts have already been about things that aren't on The List, then why stop now?


Something that was on there and removed was participating in a parent/child yoga class. The reason this was removed was because for 2+ years now I have not been able to fine one (not ONE) that was tailored to N's age group or that fit our schedule. By our "schedule", I mean a class held on the weekend when I'm not at work (I will spare you my rantings on that topic today. My husband and I are full-time working parents, this is something that comes up often, so there will be plenty more opportunity for that blog post.). Until now. I have driven by a little space about a mile from our house a few times in the last couple of months and noticed a yoga studio taking form. I kept an eye out for the "open" sign and any kind of advertising for classes. I found them on Facebook and started following along with their progress. And FINALLY there was a place offering Tot classes for 2-5 year olds (score!) on Saturday mornings (win!).


This past Saturday N and I put on our yoga pants and checked it out. The woman running the class was lovely. She read a story about a polar bear and a tiger making their way home after being lost, and running into plenty of adventure along the way. Then she picked series of poses and stretches that pertained to the book as much as possible. N loved trying to get herself into position and loved even more when she was asked what kind of noises and movements she thought certain animals make. We did partner poses with each other, and she also got to crawl underneath me and dance around me during any stretches she wasn't participating in. I think her favorite part was rolling up the mats though and putting them away! We really enjoyed it and will definitely be back. Spending time doing something new and different with her AND getting in a work out? Yes, please.

I doubt this will be the only honorable mention on my list. Hell, I cleaned two closets last week during a snow day that have been on a list for YEARS! That deserves recognition too, but I have opened the doors to them about 100 times since then as my husband walks by to show them off and bask in my accomplishment (they even smell good!). That's enough for now.

Sidenote, re: things actually on the list:

- I marked my calendar for swim lesson sign-ups in April. N and I would start in May...the snow probably won't melt until July anyway.

- I also marked my calendar for the Beach to Beacon 2011 registration which is in March (the race is in August). Just typing that makes me feel faint.

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. In the few minutes I sat here reading (my kiddos are yelling to me in their cribs... they just woke up) :) ... I love it!!! It's soo good to "meet" you! And I look forward to reading more !!! I LOVE your list! AND... the post about Balance is incredible... Its so funny... i felt like I was reading a bit of myself... cause i posted a while ago about "life takes balance" and that it is soooo essential to really living LIFE. Love your writing!

    ReplyDelete