Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Grumpy, meet Spring

Yes. That's me. Grumptastic.


It's just one of those days when lots of smallish things turn my Party-Pants into Stabby-Pants. Or, more like my Sunny-Wednesday-Pants into Oh-It's-Just-Another-Day-at-Work-with-People-Who-Don't-Know-How-to-Say-Thanks-and-We-Want-to-Get-Away-for-a-Weekend-but-are-Having-Trouble-Finding-a-Sitter-and-Matching-Schedules-Pants. That's kind of a long name for pants though. Stabby covers it.


So, no, nothing big, but enough to make me sulk and do some glaring and think about all the things I dislike about today, this week, tomorrow, last week, whatever. And really, I hate this kind of mood. It makes me grumpy to be grumpy, because I know how good I have it. I know that there are WAY worse things in the world than bad schedules, long days at work, and people who complain when you bring them munchkins (although, people complaining about donut holes is on my "seriously depraved" list). I want to be the kind of person who can remind myself of that in each of those moments when you start feeling like you might blow a gasket, and then take a deep breath and go back to my shiny, happy, winning-smile personality. Okay, maybe that's overdoing it. A lot. But at least go back to my Sunny Wednesday Pants!


But alas, I just can't all the time. I suppose when I really think about it the people who can do that all the time would make me put my Stabby Pants back on anyway. What I can do though, is take a little while to wallow in my annoyance, and then vent about it over email to people who like the occasional munchkin as much as I do. And before I know it, the topic has turned to Spring. Then Summer. Then pictures of these amazing looking Margarita's with a beer doing a headstand in it. Oh my! Is that...sun I feel creeping in? Memorial Day camping is only 7 weeks away you say? And it's supposed to be 60 next week??


It's amazing what thoughts of warm weather, BBQ's with friends, playgrounds and picnics with N, lounging on the beach, and sleeping in a tent on the river can do for my mood. Winter is always long, and this one included mass amounts of snow and shoveling. By the time March rolls around I am usually starting to feel desperate to take my coat off and put my boots away. Add in the not-so-fun last few weeks we've had and I am more than ready to tell Winter exactly where it can go. I don't think I would ever trade those feelings for a place where the seasons are much more mild and blend into one another more easily though. I'm not sure the first day that I throw open the windows and get to wear ballet flats without socks would be nearly as sweet. And neither would email conversations with my friends about what we love about the coming months.   

So, I might still have a few co-workers who don't know a kind gesture when they see one, and I still don't have my coveted weekend away from everyday life, but I do have Spring. And Summer. And if I'm lucky, those margarita's with the head standing beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment